Te Kowhai School - To Be Our Very Best

Our School

He aha te mea nui o te ao?  He tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata.”  What is the most important thing in the world?  

‘It is people, it is people, it is people.’   

Our people are the heartbeat of our school.  We are guided by our Vision, Values and Learner Qualities which lead our staff, students and wider community on our collective endeavour to empower and grow our learners.

We pride ourselves on being a friendly school, family oriented with a high level of community involvement. We have a strong spirit of community with supportive parents and enthusiastic students.

Te Kowhai School is a decile 10 Full Primary School (Year 1 to Year 8), situated in Te Kowhai Village, 7km NW of Hamilton. The roll is generally between 300-350 students, and is controlled by an enrolment scheme.  

We enjoy working closely with an invested community to continually improve the environment our students learn in.  

• We operate 6 Learning Communities where our students utilise the purposely designed rooms and flexible furniture to foster close learning-focused relationships with their peers and staff.

• With our new 10 Year Property Plan funding coming at the beginning of 2021, we have a huge number of exciting renovations and projects planned.

• Students learn in collaborative spaces with either two or three teachers and Learning Assistants supporting them.  

• We have a learning through play philosophy, which develops into inquiry based learning as our students progress through the school.

• We are a well resourced school, both in terms of digital technology and other learning resources.

• We have a pavilion/performance area, a tuck shop, a school swimming pool, multiple playgrounds, a big student-designed sandpit and many playing areas.

The Te Kowhai School Board of Trustees, PTA, staff and parents enjoy working as a team to foster the success of the school.

Involvement with the local community is an integral part of Te Kowhai School. Parents are very supportive, assisting with the classroom programme and trips. The P.T.A is an association of parents committed to enriching the school. The P.T.A makes significant contributions to the school in terms of fundraising, volunteer based initiatives and support for general school activities.